Wednesday, August 24, 2011

9/11: Roxanna Panufnik

9/11 influenced me hugely. I was pregnant with my first child and it sent me into a panic over what sort of world I'd be bringing her into. It was about that time that someone reminded me about Christians, Jews and Muslims all having the same one God. This inspired my interfaith violin concerto for Daniel Hope "Abraham" - which incorporated chant, rhythms and modes from all 3 monotheistic faiths. This alter led to the World Orchestra of Peace asking me to turn it into an orchestral overture which was premiered with Gergiev in Jerusalem. It has left me with an intense love and respect for the cultures of all these faiths which I'm sure will influence the rest of my domestic and musical life.

Roxanna Panufnik
Roxanna Panufnik is one of the UK's most popular and loved composers whose works have struck a deep emotional chord with audiences everywhere.
Since studying composition at London's Royal Academy of Music, Roxanna's since written a wide range of pieces including opera, ballet, music theatre, choral works, chamber compositions and music for film and television which are regularly performed all over the world.
Among her most widely given works are Westminster Mass, commissioned for Westminster Cathedral Choir on the occasion of Cardinal Hume's 75th birthday; The Music Programme, an opera for Polish National Opera's millennium season which received its UK premiere at the BOC Covent Garden Festival; and settings for solo voices and orchestra of Vikram Seth's Beastly Tales - the first of which was commissioned by the BBC for Patricia Rozario and City of London Sinfonia.

No comments: